But it seems to me there is a bit of a myopic focus on the unfair, fraught aspects of being a homo.
By all means, we all need to engage with the darker aspects of LGBTQ issues. Loudly, and with great enthusiasm. Because homophobia exists, and it sucks. And gay rights are human rights and all that jazz.
That shit's important.
But the dark side is far from the whole story.
Lisa and I were talking about this the other day, and we came up with a list. About the upside to being gay (other than the "following your heart" and "being true to your identity" honest and unfunny stuff).
WHY BEING A LESBO IS GREAT
1. Your wardrobe doubles instantly (if you have the forethought to pick a partner who is approximately your size).
2. Fewer noxious body odours/uncontrolled gas emissions.
3. Your partner understands your hormonal mood swings and NEED for chocolate. Really understands.
4. You've both got the same bits, so you both know what to do with them.
5. Both of you remember all birthdays, holidays and anniversaries, including your twenty one and a half week anniversary (because of cOUrse that's important).
6. You don't have to worry about the condom breaking.
7. You always have an eager, patient, interested shopping buddy. And you never have to justify your purchases. Your partner will say (with conviction) "Yes, THAT grey shirt is so much better than all your other grey shirts and I see why you definitely needed it!"
8. No beard burn. At least not from your partner's face.
9. You're allowed to have/talk about feelings. In fact, you can't be a lesbian if you won't. They'll kick you out of the club.
10. Both of you get to use the women's washroom/changeroom.
11. Two bags/purses. Somebody's always got a tampon, hand sanitizer and snacks.
12. It's okay to love cats as much as you do.
13. All the reproductive options if you decide to produce spawn... and you get two uteruses and a "seed catalogue" to start a superbreed of athletic genius chocolate babies, so you can reproduce twice as fast.
14. Gay bars are way cooler than straight bars, because everyone takes their shirts off.